Dr. Mahadev B. Chetti
Vice-Chancellor, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Contact: 8800892004 / 0836-2447783
- Sc. (Agri.), UAS, Bangalore (1978)
- Sc. (Agri.), UAS, Bangalore (1981)
- D. IARI, New Delhi (1985)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, IARI, New Delhi, Stress Physiology (1985)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of California, Los Angeles, USA (1985-1987)
- Vice-Chancellor, UAS, Dharwad ( 20.09.2018-Till date)
- Assistant Director General (Human Resource Development), Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi (09.02.2015-19.09.2018)
- Director of Extension, UAS, Dharwad (28.10.2013-02.01.2015)
- Director of Education, UAS, Dharwad (14.02.2013-27.10.2013)
- Dean (Agri.) & Campus Head, AC, Dharwad (24.09.2008 -13.02.2013)
- University Librarian, UAS, Dharwad (26.09.2008-12.12.2010)
- Director of Students Welfare, UAS, Dharwad (25.04.2008-27.01.2009)
- Registrar, UAS, Dharwad (04.2006-09.08.2007)
- Professor and University Head, UAS, Dharwad (06.1996-24.09.2008)
- Professor (I/c), UAS, Dharwad (10.1991-27.06.1996)
Awards and Recognitions
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Award, Friendship Forum, New Delhi (2018)
- Leading Educationist of India Award, Friendship Forum, New Delhi (2018)
- Society of Extension Education (SEE) Fellow Award for outstanding contribution in the field of Teaching Research and Extension Management (2017)
- Iconic Leaders Award for creating better world by All Ladies League & Women Economic Forum (2016)
- Fellow, National Academy of Biological Sciences (NABS), Chennai (2014)
- K.K. Nanda Memorial Lecture Award of Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi (2011)
- Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award, by International Integrity, Peace and Friendship Society, Bangalore (2007)
- Air India Broader Outlook Learner-Teacher (BOLT) Award, by AIR India (2004)
- Fellow, Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi (2003)
- Sir C.V. Raman Award for Young Scientists, Government of Karnataka (2001)
- J. Chinoy Memorial Gold Medal, Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi (2001)
- Bharata Ratna Dr. C. Subramaniam Award for Outstanding Teachers, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi (2000-2001)
- Academy for the Advancement of Agricultural Sciences Senior Award, Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi (1998)
- Best Article of the year, Annals of Plant Physiology, Akola (1996)
- Best Poster Award, Allelopathy on Sustainable Agriculture Forestry & Environment (1994)
- Gold Medal for General Merit UAS, Bangalore for M.Sc. (Agri.), University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore (1981)
- Silver Jubilee Gold Medal for Sc. (Agri.), University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore (1981)
- Karnataka State Award for Sc. (Agri.), University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore (1981)
Scholarships and Fellowships
- University Merit Scholarship – B.Sc. (Agri.), 1974 -1978
- University Merit Scholarship – M.Sc.(Agri.), 1978 -1980
- United Nations Development Programme Senior Fellowship – D, 1981 -1985
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India, 1985 -1987
Positions in Professional Societies
- Chairman, Peer Review Team (PRT), Siksha ‘O’ Anusandan (Deemed to be University) for accrediation from NAEAB
- President, Indian Society for Plant Physiology (ISPP), New Delhi (2019-2022)
- Hon’ble President’s Nominee: Member for Selection Committee for appointments in Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University, Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh (2019-2022)
- Vice-President, Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi (1998, 2009-11)
- Chair, Fruits and Vegetable (FAV) for Human Health (FAV-2012), International Conference
- Chair, Fruits and Vegetable (FAV) for Human Health, Avignon, France, October 2009
- Member, Editorial Board, Annals of Plant Physiology (2001- 2007)
- Member for Revamping the courses and conducting a work study, Kerala Agricultural University, Trissur (2010)
- Chairman for preparation of the syllabi on Agriculture in middle and high school education, Centre for Development of Hyderabad Karnataka Region, Gulbarga (2010)
- South Zone Councillor, Indian Society for Plant Physiology, New Delhi (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 & 2005)
- Member, Peer Review Committee, NRC Weeds, Jabalpur (2003)
- Editor, Indian Journal of Plant Physiology (2004-2006)
- Consulting Editor, Board of Executive, Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural Universities (2006-07)
- Member, Project Monitoring and Mentoring Committee (PPMT) constituted by Department of Biotechnology, GOI, New Delhi for the project sanctioned under programme support
- Member – QRT of ICAR Research Complex for Goa, for the period 01.01.2007 to 31.12.2011
- Member – Research Advisory Committee (RAC), National Research Centre for Groundnut, Junagadh
- Postgraduate programme – 25 courses under Trimester System from (1989-1992), 67 courses under Semester System from 1992-2014; Undergraduate -29 courses from 1989-2008; Chief Staff Advisor, Students Association (1997 to 2008) – Guided 16 Ph.D. and 26 M.Sc.(Agri.) students as Chairman, Guided 243 Ph.D. and 259 M.Sc.(Agri.) students as Member; Handled Externally Funded Projects as Principal Investigator (including International) worth Rs. 80 lakhs; Published 43 International and 110 National Research Articles; Published 34 International and 271 National Scientific Conference Papers, Published 6 Research Bulletins and 9 books.
- Has vast experience of organizing National, International Seminars, Symposia, Conferences; Summer-winter Schools of ICAR, Workshops, Training Programmes, Krishi Melas, University Board Meetings, Academic Councils, Sports Councils, Extension Education Council Meetings, etc.
- Has the distinction of attending as Chief Guest and delivering Convocation Address at the 15th Convocation of JAU, Junagadh, Gujarat on 27th December 2019.
- Nodal officer – Responsible for initiation of works on Farmers Knowledge Centre, Food Technology Centre at Main Campus and Advanced Research Centre on Dryland Technology at Bijapur campus and strengthening the research capabilities at ARS, Arabhavi under Special Grants of Rs. 50 crores of Government of India announced in the Union Budget 2012-13.
- As Leader – Establishment of Vacuum Packaging Facility for packaging of dry chilli. This has helped in retaining the quality of chilli without any deterioration for three years and helping in farming community to boost the export potential.
- As Leader – Vacuum Packaging of Seeds – The seed viability can be maintained for over two years and thus helping the farmers immensely.
- As Leader – Establishment of Model Classroom with State-of- the Art, Audio-Visual Aids with 175 capacity at College of Agriculture, Dharwad
- As Leader – Creation of new Post-Graduate Mess in the Ladies Hostel, UAS Main Campus, Dharwad
- As Leader – Creation of Multi-Gym Facility for boys and girls in the UAS Main Campus, Dharwad.
- As Leader – Establishment of Krishika Guest House for Farmers at UAS Main Campus, Dharwad.
- As Leader – Increasing the band width from 512 kbp to 2 Mbp in the University Library, UAS, Dharwad.
- As Leader – Renovation of play grounds in the main campus, UAS, Dharwad
- As Leader – Planning and development of Institute of Organic Farming.
- As Team Member – Planning and Development of ATIC, Raith Bhavan and Krishi Vigyan Kendra at UAS main campus, Dharwad.
- Planning and Development of International Guest House in the main campus, UAS, Dharwad.
- As Leader – Planning and development of a separate hostel for Ph.D. students (boys) in the Main Campus, UAS, Dharwad with a capacity for 48 students
- As Leader – Planning and development of construction of Post-Graduate hostel for girls.
- As a Team Member – Planning and development of working Women Hostel at main campus, UAS, Dharwad.
- As a Team Member – Planning and construction of New Boys Hostel (UG) with 250 capacity.
- As a Team Member – Planning and construction of New Girls Hostel with 400 capacity.
- As a Team Member – Planning and construction of College building at College of Agriculture, Hanumanamatti.
- As a Leader – Establishment of quality analysis laboratory for chilli – this laboratory is serving the purpose of analysing various quality parameters essential for export of chilli to other countries.
- As a Leader – Modernisation of Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate Laboratories – this has helped in imparting quality education and in uplifting the instructional standards both at Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate levels.
- As a Leader – Establishment of Pesticide Residue Analysis and Quality Control Laboratory – this is the only facility for Pesticide Residue Analysis in Karnataka managed by public sector undertaking.
- As a Leader – Establishment of Computer Laboratory at College of Agriculture, UAS Campus, Dharwad – for UG & PG practical’s.
- As Leader – Establishment of Green House Facility in the Department of Crop Physiology. This has helped to take up the experiments under controlled conditions.
- As a Team Member – Establishment of field laboratory for growth analysis
- As a Leader – Establishment of continuous water supply system to the experimental plots and crop production – through borewell and underground pipelines
- As a Team Member – Renovation of orchards and gardens in the main campus, UAS, Dharwad
New Programmess Initiated in Education Division, ICAR, New Delhi as Asst. Director General (HRD)
- Extra Mural Research Funding on Education Technology for the first time from Education Division, ICAR.
- Launching of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Unnat Krishi Shiksha Yojna. Through 100 centres across the country in different states to train farmers in organic farming/national farming & cow based economy.
- Implementation of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
- Initiated Emeritus Professor Scheme with 100 positions.
- Initiated Nine New CAFT Centres
- Enhanced Number of slots from 50 to 100 for Emeritus Scientist.
- Enhanced the age limit from 58 to 60 for National Professor & from 45 to 52 for National Fellow
- Declaring degrees from Agricultural Universities as Professional degrees.
Popularization of New Technologies
- Vacuum packaging technology for long term storage of chilli – Attracted the attention of State Govt. and several farmers and exporters
- Use of mepiquat Chloride in Groundnut – The technology was included in the Package of Practices of UAS, Dharwad.
- Use of bio-herbicides for control of Chromolaena odorata – Suitable bio – herbicides were identified and used in the large scale control of Chromolaena odorata in Western Ghats.
- Use of magnesite in Groundnut – The use of magnesite for control of foliar diseases in groundnut was demonstrated in the farmers’ fields of Northern Karnataka and technology was popularized.
- Development of suitable production technology, quality improvement and value addition in Chilli -Developed suitable production technology involving organics, growth regulators and micro nutrients for enhancing the productivity potential in chilli. Suitable packaging and storage in metalised polyester propylene at cold storages enhanced the shelf life of Chilli.
- Vacuum Packaging of Seeds for Long-term Storage-Storage of chilli and soybean seeds under vacuum retained viability and we are in the process of commercialising this technology for farmers use.
Collaborative Extension Programmes
- Extensive collaborative programmes were undertaken with Department of Agriculture, Officials of GoK, Entrepreneurs, exporters, producers for commercialization of vacuum packaging of chilli and vacuum package of seeds for long term storage. Collaborated with VITC, Bangalore, a GoK undertaking for popularization of technology, GOK, ASIDE, VITC.(2000 to 2012)
- Integrated Farming Systems for sustainable livelihood of farmers in Belgaum and Dharwad districts, Government of Karnataka (2011-2012).
- Training session in Post-harvest Engineering Practices at Bio resource Engineering Department, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, McGill University, Canada (23rd October 2004 to 14th April 2005).
- Participated in several Scientific Conferences and Seminars in different countries, , USA (Three times), Bangkok, Japan, France, England (Twice), Canada (Thrice), South Africa, Dubai, Belgium (Twice), Netherlands, Hongkong, Indonesia, Thailand (Thrice) and Israel.
Achievements as Vice-Chancelleor
- Accreditation has been accorded to the University by the ICAR, New Delhi, with “A” Grade for 5 years from 2019 to 2024.
- UAS, Dharwad rated with Five Star and First Rank among the Specialist Universities in Karnataka by the Karnataka State Higher Education Council as released during September 2019.
- ICAR Ranking – 16th positions in the country – 1st in the State (2019).
- NIRF Ranking – 83rd among all the Universities in India released by the MHRD, Govt. of India (2019).
- Work Bank funded NAHEP-IDP Project (2019-2021) sanctioned to the University with an outlay of Rs.25 crores. Emphasis is given to depute 120 students and 50 Faculty to the top ranked Universities in the world for academic excellence.
- Deputed Faculty and 4 students to the Cornell University, USA, under IARD Programme in September 2019.
- The delegation of the Board of Management of the University successfully completed Israel Study Tour during July-August, 2019.
- The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Govt. of India sanctioned RKVY-RAFTAAR Project with an outlay of Rs.6.5 crores.
- The Govt. of Karnataka sanctioned project for Vacuum Packaging Technology for Chilli and other commodities worth Rs.3 crores.
- The Govt. of Karnataka granted a project under Zero Budget Natural Farming with an outlay of Rs.5.50 crores.
- Green Initiatives undertaken in the University with planting of more than 3,000 plants with special grants from ICAR.
- Member, Experts Committee constituted by the Government of Karnataka to study integration of Farm Universities in the State.
- For the first time, the University hosted 4th Comptrollers’ Meet of SAUs/AUs/CAUs/DUs in collaboration with ICAR, New Delhi, during June 2019.
- A National Conference on Advanced Research Methodologies in Social Sciences was successfully organized in the University during February, 2019.
- The 32nd Convocation of the University was organized on a grand mark under the auspicious presence of the DG, ICAR, New Delhi, Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra during June, 2019.
- Placement Cell is strengthened for providing global opportunities to the students.
- Student aid fund enhanced for SC/ST students for all India Study Tour from 5000/- to Rs. 20,000/- per student under SCP/TSP programme in September 2019.
- Faculty is encouraged with incentive to publish NAAS Rating of more than 6.
- ICAR granted Niche Area of Excellence Project entitled Nutrient composition, value addition and commercialization of lesser exploited millets worth Rs.1.62 crores to the University.
- A project has been funded by the European Commission for developing human resource (AdaptNET) and e-lab establishment under the project Strengthening Education, Research and Innovation for Climate Change Smart Crops. Seven Scientists of the University have visited Italy under the project during January, 2020.
- Dharwad, Haveri and Vijayapur KVKs have been placed in “A” Category by the ICAR in overall All India Ranking.
- Krishi Mela has been organized on a large scale at College of Agriculture, Vijayapur during January 4-6, 2020 and at UAS Main Campus during January 18-20, 2020.
Up Coming Events
Details will be updated shortly